Monday, October 24, 2011

Roses and Rearranging in October!


But first, these photos were taken about 10 days ago, and the roses are STILL BLOOMING!
 These are the cosmos that have taken over by the front fence:
And another one of the lovely roses:
We didn't have a step on the front porch so we took the one from the kitchen entrance and put it out there:
Nothing real special but it was apparently never put in.  Even though it's only a couple of inches higher than the step, it was still a little further down than you expected and probably not good for the corgis' backs.
Then we bought a new step for the kitchen (main) entrance:
Nicer looking and just a little wider for when you are standing in the rain and fiddling with a key!  :)  I saw this half round one and really liked it and wish I'd gotten the larger one, now.  But this one is fine.
This weekend, we did some major moving of things around the house.  We are down to about 20 boxes and still going through things to decide what to keep and what to sell at a yard sale.  We had an enormous oak table in the "formal" dining area.  It was quickly becoming a dump spot and we couldn't see out the wonderful window.  So we moved the table to another place:
I got rid of the sheer curtains which were terrible dust collectors and blocked the view.  Believe me, I am all about the view here.  We have taken out several trees and still have two or three more to move.
Then I had a couple of stained glass windows that we carefully carried down here on the move, and so the morning glory one went up into the window:
I had picked up a small table with two chairs for Jerry's laptop to be on, and Kathy had given us a nifty plant holder. It was time to think about bringing the Christmas cactus in because they are setting buds and will be blooming in a couple of weeks.  So I put that in the window so they could get plenty of sun through the winter.

I had this wicker chair that was just begging to be in the left side corner:

I also added the two little end tables that have tile tops on them and put two of the mandavillas on one of them. The third one went into the bedroom where I have another plant stand.
I do plan on replacing the curtains at some point but they look much better without the sheers, I think.

We also raised the light fixture so that no swearing will be heard as one whacks one's head on it.  And you can see how nice the tile floors look here.
I put up some artwork in the corners, starting with a couple that someone had done of my corgis:
 Jordan, who was Am/Can. CH. Garvin's Sharp Dressed Man, as a puppy:
 Micah and Panda, who were Can. CH. Kallista My Wild Irish Rose and Can. CH. Kallista Kiss Me I'm Irish.
I put another small one of Jordan on the left side but didn't get a photo of it.
Then we got really inspired and spent the rest of the day hanging pictures in the guest room and the front room and our bedroom.  It looks really nice, now!
Moving is a year long project, I can tell you that, with working and training and other things, sometimes there is just no energy to do this in the evening. So I am glad that we got these things done.
I am going to hang the iris stained glass to the left of these pictures, where the entry way is. There really isn't another good place to put it except in the second guest room which is actually a library.  And since the sun shines in so brightly and hot in the summer, I'd really rather have the blinds in there. So this makes a good logical choice.  I went and got the better hooks for both the stained glasses and we will get them up maybe tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment