Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Kentucky Quilt Trails

This was actually going to be my very first blog entry.  One of the things that I noticed when we moved here was that many barns had a big quilt block painted on them. When I investigated further, I found that it was actually painted on boards and attached to the barn.  Why?  There had to be a story.
And there was, of course, a story.  The Commonwealth of Kentucky (another story!)  has funded the Kentucky Arts Council with a grant to provide this as regional art.  You can read more about it here:
One woman began the project by painting a quilt block on her barn to honor her Grandmother, who was a quilter.  Friends who helped her decided that if they were going to do one, they might as well do twenty, and create a "driving path" so people could view them. From there, the project spread all over Kentucky.  
I have taken photos of these along Highway 163 and 90, which is a scenic highway.  The two above are not too far from my house.
The day that I took these it was overcast, so the colors are not as bright as I would like them to be.  I did this about a week after Thanksgiving.






I think it is so enjoyable to go down the road and see the different designs that mean something to each person.  Some people have even painted their own on the barns without going officially through the process to have one painted for them.
I love the idea and think it is so neat!

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful, Thank You for sharing!!!
    Deb Landon

    ReplyDelete