Tuesday, August 16, 2011

More Amazing Things in the Sky

Tonight I was down by the horses and turned around and saw this in the sky:
I ran back to the house and grabbed the camera, but by the time I got there, it was almost gone.  I was very disappointed.  I had pointed it out to Jerry and he's never seen one. This is called a sun dog.  When you have a rainbow, you face the rainbow and the sun is at your back.  This is looking at the sun (which is on the right side in this photo) and the sun dog. So sort of a reverse rainbow for lack of a better word.  I looked it up on wikipedia so Jerry could read it and then he said he had seen one where we came from.

 So I wandered out to get the mail and took out an empty box (yay!  one more down!) to the trash and had the camera still with me. And then I noticed the second one.  This was to the right of the sun:


As I watched, it got more intense and stronger in color.  What a show!  It was actually a deeper golden than what is shown in these photos.
We also have had the full moon coming up every night, big and as orange as the zinnias I have.  Seriously.  I tried to take a photo of it tonight but it looks like an orange blob.  I'll try to get it uploaded tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment